Re: build personal contacts outside of meetings

2016-05-25 01:35:54
Hi Alia,

Perhaps we should bring this up during our traditional IETF lunch?
Personally I feel it would be useful to bring names to faces.

Thanks,
Jeff

From:  ietf <ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org> on behalf of Alia Atlas
<akatlas(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
Date:  Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 5:23 AM
To:  Loa Andersson <loa(_at_)pi(_dot_)nu>
Subject:  Re: build personal contacts outside of meetings

Hi Loa,

On 2016-05-24 17:24, Adrian Farrel wrote:

Alia,

I've wondered about whether it would help/add to have pictures of IETFers
associated with their IETF datatracker account.   We do have a gallery of
photos for WG chairs, but I have no sense of how much those are used.

I have repeatedly been told that the WG chair photos are really useful for
people attending f2f meetings who want to seek out chairs to talk with them.
The same would probably apply to any IETFer with whom they wanted to make
contact at an f2f meeting.

yes I agree to that, photos are useful

does "assiciated with their IETF datatracker account" mean that when you
go to the status page of a draft the photos of the authors would show
up? would be really neat :).

Yes, that could be one way of integrating.   I think it takes some thought as
to what would be useful & what would feel comfortable to IETFers.

A wrinkle coould be to display the photos of wg chairs on the charter
and/or the document page.

Exactly.  If there's interest,  maybe we can brainstorm a bit.

Regards,
Alia

[snip]

I would love to figure out how to recreate the types of serendipitous
interactions
and 'hallway' conversations that happen - but in an on-line setting.

A few years back the IESG caused the creation of
hallway(_at_)jabber(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org. When I was on the IESG I tried to
remember to hang out there when my jabber client was open. I think a couple
of other ADs tried as well. As I recall, it was very rare for anyone else to
be there and over a couple of years I think I fielded just one question.

yes - I remember the hallway(_at_)jabber(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org, the idea is
good, but I guess that there are better applications that could be used today
- in
a totally different context I've been using Telegram (not a suggestion,
just an example) and it works well. Though I don't know how big groups
that could be accommodated.

/Loa

Adrian