Re: IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

2016-05-25 01:32:25
On 5/24/16 10:17 PM, Ole Jacobsen wrote:
Perhaps, but "recourse" might be just as painful and time consuming
whether you are stuck in legal wranglings in Alabama or featured in
the next episode of "Locked up Abroad".

Look ...  Those of us who live this stuff every day and who've
been living it for years might have an understanding of it
that's a little, well, *richer* than people for whom this
is all an abstraction, and who didn't even bother to think
about this particular issue with respect to meeting venues
until they were told that they'd made a mistake.  So, I would
be grateful if people making assertions on the basis of things
they think almost certainly must be true would either verify
those things before sending them out, or just ask.

If you take a look at the situation in the US, you'll find
that Judge Roy Moore was removed from the bench and that Kim
Davis went to jail for contempt of court.  The reason this is
relevant is because ...

> The pertinent question is
> still: Will the familial and parental rights of people in same-sex
> relationships be respected in Singapore?

Indeed, it is.  However several people have made the unfounded
assertion that because there are bigots in public office in the
US things here are as oppressive as Singapore.  And that's what
I was posting in response to.  They are not the same.  We have
the law protecting glbt familial rights and those laws are being
upheld.

Everything we have been told from folks in Singapore and frequent
travelers thereto says "yes". With respect to any medical situation,
it might be prudent to carry paperwork which documents the
relationship.

Okay, so you're putting an additional burden (economic and
otherwise) on people in same-sex relationships.  That's a
problem.  A bigger problem is that there is no reason whatsoever
to believe that anybody in Singapore is going to honor a contract
drawn up in the United States by American lawyers.

It is certainly possible that you are able to come up with
a mechanism for dealing with this sort of problem that generations
of glbt people have somehow overlooked, but it seems implausible.

Melinda