Re: IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

2016-05-25 18:00:10
Fully agree and will add a couple of points after reading IAOC chair message on
this issue:

1) If we decide not to go to Singapore, it seems the possible replacement is US.
2) US must be disqualified as a possible country for IETF venue because the
same reasons as Singapore.
3) Depending on the US elections results this will be even more problematic for
Muslims and others to get visas.
4) Shifting the dates will probably create clash for other people that will not
be able to attend.

So we end up having no venue and incurring in a cost over 230.000 dollars
(including the government funding, which in my opinion need to be added to the
total cancellation cost).

I hope this doesn’t mean that sooner or later it impacts the registration fees,
as this may mean some more participants can’t attend some meetings.

The big question here is then to the IAOC:

Can we have an idea of how many people could not attend Singapore vs how many
people depending on the US elections results will not be able to attend the
venue if relocated to US ?

Are we happy impacting one group or the other depending on our decision, and
considering that most of the time, we have mainly impacted folks requiring
visas to US?

I don’t think we have a way to have a perfect balance here, whatever is the
decision that we take, so for sure, if I’m the one deciding, I will go for the
lower impact to getting the work done. I’m sorry to come always to the same
conclusion and appear as insensible to any specific group. Is not the case,
believe it or not, is a question of being practical and try to get the best
balance. At the end is a matter of “numbers”: how many people we lost with one
choice vs the other.

Regards,
Jordi