Re: IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

2016-05-25 18:04:35

Vinayak,

While I consider it highly unlikely to happen, if it became illegal for Muslims
to travel to the U.S., or if there was a U.S. Federal or Illinois State law
that included the possibility of a prison sentence for being Muslim, then I
would ask the IETF to move that meeting to  a location that did not present the
risk of incarceration for any of us based on our race, religion, gender, sexual
preference or gender expression.

I think many of us are missing an important point here.   This is not an issue
of Singapore requiring one group of people to fill out more paperwork to enter
the country, or not allowing same-sex couples to marry or adopt.  As I
understand it, this is a situation where a gay man is concerned that he could
be _arrested_ for coming to the Singapore IETF meeting with his family.  This
is an issue of human rights and personal safety, not an issue of convenience,
paperwork, cost, etc.

Margaret

On May 25, 2016, at 5:09 PM, Vinayak Hegde <vinayakh(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>