RE: IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

2016-05-25 16:26:16

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf [mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Eliot Lear
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 4:50 PM
To: Melinda Shore; Ted Lemon
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for
input

On 5/25/16 10:44 PM, Melinda Shore wrote:
On 5/25/16 12:36 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:
It's probably easier to enumerate who's excluded than who's included:

No, it's still not really working.

Would we, for example, be willing to meet in a place that criminalizes
Muslims or Jews or Hindus?  I sincerely hope not, and I don't think
that we would.

Criminalizes?  Probably not.  Makes it difficult for them to adhere to the
precepts of their religion?  We've already done that (perhaps some of it is
unavoidable, by the way).

Eliot

I've been following the conversation with interest but haven't commented up to
this point because I normally don't attend IETF meetings except through jabber.
I normally only participate in the working groups dealing with email
authentication and can't justify attending in person.

I had been thinking that about the only venue that might be neutral would be
Switzerland but then I read Melinda's  comment and coincidentally saw this
article -
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/05/25/swiss-authorities-overule-teacher-handshake-ban/84899900/.
  With that I think I'll go back to lurking.

Mike