Re: IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

2016-05-25 13:52:24
On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 7:17 AM,
<nalini(_dot_)elkins(_at_)insidethestack(_dot_)com> wrote:

So, it is not OK to put an additional burden sometimes on GLBT people but it is
OK to put an additional burden on Asian and African and other people as far as
cost, racism, visa, etc, etc?

The second statement seems to me a strawman, as no one seems to have asserted
that it was okay.

If I have missed an opportunity to work against the impact of racism on IETF
participants contingent on the choice of our venues, I apologize, but please
do not assume that my raising this >particular issue in any way means that I
am not willingness to work for fairness in other contexts.

Ted,  I raised this issue because unfortunately Asian and African cultures lag
the West in their acceptance and awareness of LGBT rights.  If we consider LGBT
rights to the exclusion of others, that leaves out much of the world in our
venue consideration.  And, that puts an additional burden on Asian, African and
other people.
I totally feel for you and I think your child is very lucky to have the two
fathers that he / she has.   I completely understand your family orientation.
Once I saw the little face of my daughter, that was it.  Everything else came
second.
But having said that, I was born in India and want to support very strongly my
fellow Asian IETFers.   The world is changing.   This debate will not go away.
I hope that all sides can validate each others feelings and points of view and
work together.  I applaud you for having the courage to bring this issue to the
forefront of our consciousness and thus initiate this very important discussion.
So, let me ask you - is there anything that would make Singapore / Asia feel
safe for you to travel to with your family?   Should we talk to the American
Embassy?  Hospitals?
What have you done when you traveled with your family elsewhere?
I realize that this is potentially only solving your particular problem but
maybe it gives us a path to work together.
Nalini