Re: IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

2016-05-25 13:43:23
Hi Nalini,
At 07:17 25-05-2016, nalini(_dot_)elkins(_at_)insidethestack(_dot_)com wrote:
I suspect Ted feels unsafe and vulnerable (please correct me if I am wrong) and those of us from Asia (speaking for myself only) feel that having venues only in Western liberal-ish countries is unfair. Others, please let me know what you think.

The existing IETF policy is to have continental rotations with one meeting in the United States of America or Canada, one meeting in Europe and one meeting in Eastern Asia. The IETF Chair has the discretion to propose a meeting in a location outside one of those three regions.

Discussions about meetings are sometimes highly controversial. There are very few messages on ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org when the IETF holds a meeting in the United States or Canada. There are relatively more messages (to ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org) from IETF attendees with United States travel documents when the IETF Chair proposes having an IETF meeting outside the United States or Canada. There are lifestyle questions, distance to travel questions, cost of travel questions, and safety questions.

Is it judicious for the IAOC to take a position against a country? Is it fair to offer some IETF attendees less privileges?

Regards,
S. Moonesamy