Re: IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

2016-05-25 10:52:47

On Wed, 25 May 2016, nalini(_dot_)elkins(_at_)insidethestack(_dot_)com wrote:

On 5/25/16 6:17 AM, nalini(_dot_)elkins(_at_)insidethestack(_dot_)com
wrote:
So, it is not OK to put an additional burden sometimes on GLBT people
but it is OK to put an additional burden on Asian and African and
other people as far as cost, racism, visa, etc, etc?

Perhaps we should regard this as an opportunity to talk
about which forms of bigotry we'll accommodate and which
we won't.

Well said.

In an ideal world, there would be no travel costs, no visa barriers,
no discrimination and no bureaucracies to deal with. We don't live
in such a world. Until we do, this isn't a matter of what type of
bigotry is worse or better IMO, it's about making practical choices
about meeting locations (assuming we still want to have physical
meetings). Every meeting we hold excludes some number of people for
numerous reasons, hopefully it's not the same people every time.

Sure.  I am OK with that.  Share the burden of being inconvenienced and work
together for the common goal.
I actually prefer the word "unfairness" or "inconvenience" to the word
"bigotry".  But, I think it FEELS like bigotry to some people so I was
validating Melinda's feelings.  (Sorry, I am from Northern California and
processing feelings for hours on end is the local sport.)
Nalini