RE: [Recentattendees] Background on Singapore go/no go for IETF 100

2016-05-27 13:07:52
Please forgive my abrupt intrusion and inaugural offering into this conversation.

I would first offer that it is extremely encouraging to see this portion of the Internet's technical community having this debate and I applaud it. I do believe ICANN could expand their understanding of the issues a great deal from what you are covering here as they continue to explore new meeting sites as well. Fingers crossed they begin to soon.

In addition to just looking within the IETF membership, may I also suggest reaching out to Human Rights Watch or ILGA (International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans & Intersex Association) for further documentation of the real world implications facing members of the gay community in all countries around the world. Most especially if this becomes an issue you intend to track moving forward. I trust they can give you a local perspective based on their LGBTQI networks on the ground worldwide. Not only does ILGA produce an annual State Sponsored Homophobia Report, but they are also highly involved in LGBTQI matters within the Universal Periodic Reviews (UPR) taking place at the United Nations, which highlight many of the injustices occurring around the world.

Happy to share contacts for ILGA & HRW if it would be helpful.

Jamie

Jamie Baxter
VP of Marketing
dotgay LLC
307 Seventh Avenue, Suite 1807
New York, NY 10001
212-235-5154
jamie(_at_)dotgay(_dot_)com
www.dotgay.com

Please join us on Facebook at www.facebook.dotgay.com
and follow us at www.twitter.com/dotgay

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Recentattendees] Background on Singapore go/no go for IETF
100
From: Margaret Cullen <margaretw42(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
Date: Thu, May 26, 2016 4:21 pm
To: Keith Moore <moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com>
Cc: "recentattendees(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org" <recentattendees(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>, "Fred Baker
(fred)" <fred(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>, "Ietf@Ietf. Org" <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>

> On May 26, 2016, at 4:01 PM, Keith Moore <moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com> wrote:
>
> Right, but should IETF need to hire lawyers in each country in order to get an expert opinion about whether members of each of an enumerated set of groups can legally be harassed when attending a meeting there, and about the likelihood of that happening?

What about the IAOC writing to the IETF list and/or recent attendees when they are considering going to a new country, asking if anyone has any feedback on the idea? And then considering that feedback _before_ making a final decision, signing a contract, etc?

It seems to me that if this issue had been raised before the IAOC had made a non-refundable $80K deposit and had negotiated $150K in benefits from the Singapore government, there would have been a lot more latitude for choosing a different location.

Margaret