RE: [Recentattendees] Background on Singapore go/no go for IETF 100

2016-05-27 13:39:28
We will all make our own personal decisions about the cost-benefit tradeoff of
various actions, including travel to particular places. Personal risk is of
course high on the list of appropriate criteria. It is also appropriate for
organizations to consider personal risk as a criterion in selecting meeting
venues.

To broaden the scope of the conversation beyond gay friendliness, let me cite a
case of a proposal to meet in Israel, some years ago, which was rejected
because of fears of terrorism. Though the concern was dramatically overblown
IMO, the organization in question did reflect personal safety discomfort of a
substantial subset of the membership. The same organization also met on more
than one occasion in Kuala Lumpur, in which there were visa issues for,
consequently no representation by, holders of Israeli passports. Cost-benefit
tradeoff.

Many, perhaps most, of us, work for multinational companies, many of which do
business in countries that have less than stellar human-rights records. Our
employers would surely not insist that any of us travel to locations where we
had personal safety concerns, and at least most of our employers would
undoubtedly let us avoid venues whose policies we found repugnant for other
reasons as well. Whether we choose to continue working for companies that do
business in such places is of course part of our individual cost-benefit
tradeoffs.

What appears to be different between company organizations  and the IETF case
is that it offers a different cost-benefit tradeoff. We can make a political
statement at comparatively low cost. The question is whether we want IETF to
become the vehicle for political statements.

Dave