Re: Last Call: <draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis-12.txt> (Guidelines for Writing an IANA Considerations Section in RFCs) to Best Current Practice

2016-06-04 17:59:53
On 4 Jun 2016, at 13:42, Barry Leiba wrote:

I just find it fascinating and disturbing that at least two respected
IETF participants think it's perfectly fine to leave stale references
around, especially when it's trivially easy to fix them -- in the vast
majority of cases taking but one sentence in the IANA Considerations.
I'm simply flabbergasted.  This isn't "useless hoops"; it's simple and
sensible updates that rarely take any effort.

I have to agree with Barry on this one.

RFCs and IANA registries are for the _readers_, not the authors. I don't understand the objection to asking the author to do a little more work, to save work for the reader. Typically there are many more readers than authors (one hopes). And readers commonly don't pay attention to all that "updated by" and "obsoleted by" stuff at the top of the RFC. In general, it's in the best interest of readers for IANA to point to the most up-to-date specification for a code point.

I'm okay if that guidance is not strict, that is along the lines of "it's a good idea..." or "It is helpful to readers if..."

If people think that readers don't use the registries to find the specs, that opens up much bigger questions about required author hoop-jumping.

Ben.

Barry

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 8:13 PM, Stephen Farrell