Re: IETF Endowment update

2016-07-13 13:38:52
John and Paul,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

The shift in focus for the Endowment was shared at IETF 94 last year, and
restated on this list earlier this year. The shift was undertaken in
consultation with the ISOC Board and the IAOC.

Of course, if any early contributors to the Open Internet Endowment have a
concern about their previous contributions, we will see what we can do.
But I do hope the IETF community sees the IETF Endowment as a way to
provide long-term support for the IETF¹s core mission.

Best,
Kathy
‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹
From:  Paul Wouters <paul(_at_)nohats(_dot_)ca>
Date:  Tuesday, July 12, 2016 at 1:16 PM
To:  John C Klensin <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com>
Cc:  Kathryn Brown <brown(_at_)isoc(_dot_)org>, "ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org"
<ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Subject:  Re: IETF Endowment update

On Tue, 12 Jul 2016, John C Klensin wrote:

I signed up for, and contributed to, the Open Internet Endowment
based on commitments that its mission would be very broad, not
be turned into an IETF support fund.  I don't believe donors
were even superficially consulted about the change.  What would
happen if I (and maybe others who feel the same way) were to ask
for refunds on the basis that we never agreed to repurposing of
the funds?

I am in the same position. I feel a bit weird about it. I would not
have donated if it was just for IETF - I'm already mostly self-funded
on that. So I was a bit disappointed when this initiative turned out to
be an IETF fund.

Paul