Re: IETF funding needs (Was: Re: IETF Endowment update)

2016-07-13 01:37:40
And it was just a couple of days ago when

I had a discussion with several IETFers about the effect of
our meeting fees on, say, our academic or open source
participant’s ability to attend. *We* all fund the IETF. If
that money flow ever changes direction I feel that the
comparison to some other situations would be more
appropriate, but now it is not.

So — I do welcome funding, for it allows us to run our
normal things like the RFC Editor service — as even the
normal things require funding every year — or help turn on
services that make virtual collaboration easier. And so
on.
I think that funding, how to get more funding, and what to do with it is one of
the most important conversations that we could be having.
In the U.S., we often say that a child's chance of success depends on zip code.
 What that implies is that where you live (which is often based on how much
money you have) dictates the schools you go to, your safety, access to clean
air, clean water, good libraries, art museums and on and on.  The cultural and
social capital that comes with money often dictates the eventual success of the
child.
This is not so dissimilar to what happens at the IETF.  If you work for an
organization which will send you consistently to IETF (or you have access to
adequate personal income) and if you can spend the time out of your work week
that is required to participate remotely, then you can become involved and
active.   IMHO, it is MUCH harder to be involved and to create the networks of
contacts that are required to create thoughtful protocol standards without
physical attendance.   I know that some have done it.  I am saying that for
most it is much harder.  And, yes, some children manage to rise above the
impacts of poverty as well.  Most don't.
For example, one thing that happens with face to face attendance is that
conversations happen that shape and hone an idea or a perceived problem.
People will tell you, go talk to this group or that person.   They will give
you a different perspective.  People will outright disagree with your solution.
 This also is good feedback.  This kind of shaping of ideas will eventually
lead to something - what that is may be a draft or a one line proposed change
to an existing draft, who knows.  But, the very fact that you are here and
having such discussions is important.
My concern is with people who are not here and who maybe SHOULD be here both
for their own growth and eventual contributions and for the perspective they
can add to the conversations at the IETF which are so important.
Nalini