Re: How to get feedback on published RFCs

2016-07-19 08:33:34
On 19/07/16 14:49, S Moonesamy wrote:
Hi Yaron,
At 02:35 19-07-2016, Yaron Sheffer wrote:
Once an RFC is published, there is essentially no way for readers to
provide feedback: what works, what are the implementation pitfalls,
how does the document relate to other technologies or even to other RFCs.

[snip]

There is a number of tools now that allow "web annotations" (i.e.,
comments) on various published documents. I submitted a draft [1]
recently that proposes to enable annotations on the "tools" version of
our RFCs. Technically, this is a trivial change. From a process point
of view it is more complicated and merits discussion on this list.
Sec. 6 of the draft allows you to see for yourself what such
annotations would look like.

I recall that this has been discussed before.
draft-sheffer-ietf-rfc-annotations-00 is proposing an IETF process
experiment to enable web annotations on published RFCs.  Would that
cover RFCs published in the IAB Stream?

Yes, the current proposal would cover all published RFCs.

As the proposed experiment identifies "tools" RFCs, it shouldn't affect
the archival series.

This is correct.

  Section 4.1 mentions that there is room for
abuse.  I read some negative comments on the web about a RFC which I
edited.  In my opinion it is fair criticism.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy