Re: bettering open source involvement

2016-07-29 09:11:47
Mike,

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 9:56 AM, MH Michael Hammer (5304)
<MHammer(_at_)ag(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Alia,

Thanks for the thoughtful response. Submitting a draft is indeed a
reasonably quick process. But that is only the starting point. My IETF
experience is mainly in the area of email authentication so perhaps that
colors my perception. I can’t think of anyone that didn’t walk away from
the MARID working group (SPF and SenderID) without a sour taste in their
mouth. It can be summed up by saying politics and religious wars. I look at
how long it took for DKIM to go from draft to standard – without looking up
the exact dates I’ll call it something around 8 years. ADSP was a painful
experience all the way around and a time suck. I’ll not go into DMARC which
has become implemented widely yet ran into fierce resistance within
portions of the IETF community. I’m part of the DMARC team that came out
with it and the goal was to open up something that was working among
private peers so that any person organization of any size could benefit.
Instead of working to help address the corner cases, there was an intense
effort on the part of some to kill it off and/or stonewall despite
increasing acceptance and implementation in the wild.

What I know about the DMARC and email space is merely the public
discussions - and I know DMARC was rather sensitive on a number of
different aspects.   Of course, it was also trying to solve a problem that
is increasingly urgent and frustrating.  Sometimes, there's a tendency here
to go for the best being the enemy of the good - but also sometimes there's
a tendency to try and push ahead with a point solution that can cause
active collateral damage.  I would like to assure you that much of what the
IETF works on isn't as challenging to come to consensus on an approach as
DMARC was.

It appears that rather than trying to find ways to reduce friction, the
attitude is that people must dedicate their lives to the IETF alter in
order to get things done. Part of this is because to some extent IETF is
driven by people who are paid by their organizations to be full time
IETFers. My company allows my participation in IETF working groups (as well
as other places) but does not “sponsor” it. This isn’t a complaint but
rather, recognition of reality. Is it any wonder that so many people who
get involved in the IETF because of one particular thing end up walking
away from standards work?

It's actually a rather fascinating assumption - because I don't actually
think that there are that many people who are full time IETFers.   In my
current role as AD, I basically am; I've considered whether I could
decrease that a bit.   There are at least 3 ADs who are not spending
full-time on IETF.   Before I was an AD, I was never full-time on IETF
work.  It was one of my tasks and focuses (and something I cared deeply
about personally), but I wasn't full-time.   I do think there are some
IETFers who are close to full-time because of the number of things that
they engage in, but not very far from most.

If anything, that most people aren't engaged full-time can be seen in the
hiccups and slow-downs of discussions when folks have to dig out from their
day jobs to reload context and respond.

I wonder if it would be productive to have a survey to collect statistics
about participation workload and other common assumptions.  Maybe we'd cut
each other a bit more slack if we realized that most of us are in the same
boat as far as time and personal commitment?

Perhaps my perspective is somewhat jaundiced yet I continue to participate
in working groups.

I’ve been working on some ideas (surprisingly not in the email or security
arenas) that would at first glance appear to be naturals for bringing to
the IETF yet I am hesitant because I would likely expire of old age before
seeing them get through the process. Life is too short.

I can't speak for the ART area, of course, but I really don't think that it
has to take that long.  One of the parts of shaping new work can be setting
expectations on the time to get them done.  Personally, I'd much rather
discuss the work and concerns around timeliness than not see the work
because of assumptions that we can't improve.

Just a few thoughts before I duck and run for cover from an anticipated
backlash.

Thoughtful conversation and honest discussion shouldn't cause horrible
backlash.
Personally, I'm always extremely interested to hear how others are
perceiving things
and really appreciate your engagement.

Regards,
Alia