Re: bettering open source involvement

2016-07-29 09:26:38

On 29/07/16 14:56, MH Michael Hammer (5304) wrote:
Alia,

Thanks for the thoughtful response. Submitting a draft is indeed a
reasonably quick process. But that is only the starting point. My
IETF experience is mainly in the area of email authentication so
perhaps that colors my perception. I can’t think of anyone that
didn’t walk away from the MARID working group (SPF and SenderID)
without a sour taste in their mouth. It can be summed up by saying
politics and religious wars. I look at how long it took for DKIM to
go from draft to standard – without looking up the exact dates
I’ll call it something around 8 years. ADSP was a painful
experience all the way around and a time suck. I’ll not go into
DMARC which has become implemented widely yet ran into fierce
resistance within portions of the IETF community. I’m part of the
DMARC team that came out with it and the goal was to open up
something that was working among private peers so that any person
organization of any size could benefit. Instead of working to help
address the corner cases, there was an intense effort on the part of
some to kill it off and/or stonewall despite increasing acceptance
and implementation in the wild.

FWIW, I don't think the above is a sufficiently complete
description of the DMARC situation. I do get that that
was the perception of some DMARC proponents but it ignores
the fact that DMARC specifically affects how the IETF does
work. I do fully agree wrt ADSP but I think in retrospect
even those who were proponents of ADSP would now likely
agree it was a mistake. I could similarly quibble about
what you say of DKIM, but am thankful that I wasn't
involved in MARID at all;-) So I figure there are a wide
range of reasonable opinions that could be expressed about
many bits of work done or not done in the IETF.

I think a conclusion to reach is that sometimes it's just
hard when one brings work from a smaller group to a group
as broad and diverse as the IETF, and that does fairly often
badly affect proposals that come from smaller OSS or operator
groups.

S.

It appears that rather than trying to find ways to reduce friction,
the attitude is that people must dedicate their lives to the IETF
alter in order to get things done. Part of this is because to some
extent IETF is driven by people who are paid by their organizations
to be full time IETFers. My company allows my participation in IETF
working groups (as well as other places) but does not “sponsor”
it. This isn’t a complaint but rather, recognition of reality. Is
it any wonder that so many people who get involved in the IETF
because of one particular thing end up walking away from standards
work?

Perhaps my perspective is somewhat jaundiced yet I continue to
participate in working groups.

I’ve been working on some ideas (surprisingly not in the email or
security arenas) that would at first glance appear to be naturals for
bringing to the IETF yet I am hesitant because I would likely expire
of old age before seeing them get through the process. Life is too
short.

Just a few thoughts before I duck and run for cover from an
anticipated backlash.

Mike

From: Alia Atlas [mailto:akatlas(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com] Sent: Friday, July 29,
2016 9:04 AM To: MH Michael Hammer (5304) Cc: Melinda Shore; Brian E
Carpenter; Suzanne Woolf; IETF discussion list Subject: Re: bettering
open source involvement

Hi Melinda & Michael,

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 1:51 AM, MH Michael Hammer (5304)