Re: bettering open source involvement

2016-08-01 09:09:26
While standards frequently take longer than we like, I would like to point out several other aspects.

One thing I have observed is that the rush to code often produces work that needs to be completely reworked. As an example, in ODL the core adaptation layer had to be rewritten from scratch.
Rushing to produce a wrong standard can be rather more expensive.

On another angle, it often takes significant time to find all the issues and complications that affect the standard. It takes thought and discussion.

And finally, the fact that we are trying to reach agreeement across people who often have very diverse implementations for very good reasons can create serious obstacle that take time and work to overcome. This is actually particularly apparent in what should be easy to standardize, because those are cases where folks have pre-standard implementations and have often taken very different approaches.

One way of paraphrasing all of the above is that IETF standards take time because they matter. It is easy to throw something out there, see if it works, and see if people want to use it. It is not easy to get something put together that will work well when it is widely adopted.

Yours,
Joel