Re: I-D Action: draft-leiba-rfc2119-update-00.txt

2016-08-09 17:44:32
Hi,

   o  When these words are not capitalized, they have their normal
      English meanings; this document has nothing to do with them.

There are, and probably always will be, standards track documents
that do not cite RFC 2119 and do not use upper-case normative
keywords. In those documents, we will find usage of 'should' and
'should not' whose interpretation will remain ambiguous. (Does
'should' mean 'must unless there is a very good reason' or something
less?) I think that ambiguity is worth pointing out. I don't think
'must' and 'may' are ambiguous in that way.

However, that point leads me to another issue:

   Authors who follow these guidelines should incorporate this phrase
   near the beginning of their document:

I think that 'should' needs to be 'must'. Otherwise we could in theory
have documents using both 'MUST' and 'must' with no disambiguation.
(This is also a bug in RFC 2119.)

   To reduce the number of reserved key words, the following key words
   are deprecated, and no longer have special meanings defined by BCP
   14:

   REQUIRED, SHALL, SHALL NOT, RECOMMENDED, NOT RECOMMENDED, OPTIONAL

I will be glad to see the back of SHALL, but I object to deprecating
the adjectives. They are useful - indeed, sometimes required - for
the construction of readable sentences and, for example, tables of
RECOMMENDED and OPTIONAL values.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter