Re: Last Call: <draft-levine-herkula-oneclick-04.txt> (Signalling one-click functionality for list email headers) to Proposed Standard

2016-09-13 10:51:39
I think I have a pretty good idea about what to add, some motivation about why some mailers want to make it easy to unsubscribe, and a SHOULD about using a unique URL with a hard to forge hash. I don't think it's worth trying to define hard to forge.

The email world has gotten very concentrated and I wouldn't be surprised if less than ten providers handled more than half of the world's active mailboxes. There's a whole lot of list providers ranging from big corporate ones down to little boutiques, e.g., one that only handles mail to subscribers of Wordpress blogs. Out in the long tail of mailbox provieders there's a lot of commercial and free webmail software. So even though the biggest impetus for this is Gmail, I expect to see it implemented by a lot of senders and receivers.

R's,
John

--On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 13:49 +0000 John Levine