Re: I-D Action: draft-west-let-localhost-be-localhost-00.txt

2016-09-27 16:20:06
I'm probably not explaining myself well so I'll give an example. In the setup above, let's say you've set 127.0.1.1 to be your local DNS server, meaning that you might expect the following commands to work:
     $ dig mysite.localhost
  mysite.localhost IN A 127.0.0.1

  $ dig myothersite.localhost
  myothersite.localhost IN A 127.200.200.200

But, under this proposal wouldn't dig be obliged to refuse to forward the request onto 127.0.1.1? How does dig (or your browser or any other resolving API) know the difference between a bog standard caching DNS server and a local DNS server that has explicitly been set up to route local lookups?

I don't see why. You're allowed to use common sense when interpreting RFCs, and the message here is clearly that if you want to interoperate you do not send queries for *.localhost out of your computer. The twisty way my or your internal DNS setup works is out of scope.

Regards,