IETF network incremental plan

2016-11-16 04:33:09
Answering what Jari asked at the beginning of the session and also some other
comments on the mike, I think the plan must be something like:

1) At this point make sure to identify what apps still not work with IPv6-only
in the LAN. How we do that, easy. Use 464XLAT or MAP, or even better, try one
at one IETF meeting, the other one at the following meeting. Our network first
hop router, must behave as a dual-stack device in the LAN (IETF default SSID
network), IPv6-only to the access.
2) Once we have identified by means of a scrip in that first hop router what
apps still need IPv4, talk to the vendors, to tell them about the problem: Look
your apps aren’t going to work in the short future.
3) We can keep running this for 3 meetings, for example, 464XLAT, then MAP-T,
then MAP-E, one meeting each protocol in the default SSID.
4) After that, decide if is already time to have a REAL IPv6 only as the
default SSID, or we need some more meetings with the same test, in case there
are still too many apps to be identified. I’m sure we will not discover all the
apps, that’s clear, but maybe a good set of what are more relevant at least for
this community.
5) In any case, we should always provide a regular dual-stack SSID (not the
default one), because people need to work both here in the IETF and his
home/office work.
6) It doesn’t make sense to have just a NAT64 SSID. This clearly only is useful
to break apps. We get the same result if there is a script at the first hop
router that identifies the apps, without breaking it.

Why we need 1), because the actual reality is that still many apps need IPv4
and will not work in an IPv6-only network.

The reality is that even ISPs could deliver IPv6-only access, the idea is to
have dual-stack in the LANs, and the IETF is one of those LANs.

Any other alternative should not work at the time being, we like it or not,
IPv4 is still there.

Any of you will take the risk to disable IPv4 in your home network? Or even in
the corporate network?

I’m sure missing lots of details, but I think the overall plan is there.

I think it has been mention about writing a draft about this, happy to work on
that, of course.

Regards,
Jordi

IPv4 is over
Are you ready for the new Internet ?
http://www.consulintel.es
The IPv6 Company

confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the
individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that
information, including attached files, is prohibited.