Re: London is Venue for IETF 101

2016-11-17 19:40:03
What we should really consider is whether VPNs work, since if you have a
VPN available, you can tunnel past local snooping or filering.

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 9:18 AM,
<kathleen(_dot_)moriarty(_dot_)ietf(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

Something we may want to consider for future venue selection:

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/privacy-issues-abound-
as-uk-passes-controversial-snoopers-charter/

"A new bill, recently passed by both parliamentary houses, requires UK
ISPs to store user internet history for up to a year, and to decrypt data
as needed for police investigations."

Kathleen

Please excuse typos, sent from handheld device

On Nov 16, 2016, at 11:26 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker
<phill(_at_)hallambaker(_dot_)com>
wrote:

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 12:14 AM, Michael Richardson <
mcr+ietf(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca> wrote:

IETF Administrative Director <iad(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org> wrote:
    > The IAOC is pleased to announce London as the site for IETF 101 from
    > 18 - 23 March 2018.

    > This will be the IETF's third  meeting in London.  The IETF met in
    > London for IETF 51 in 2001, hosted by BTexact Technologies and had
    > 2,226 attendees; and then again at IETF 89, hosted by ICANN, and had
    > 1,400 attendees.

And, I think, it's in the same Hilton we have been in before?
The Hilton Metropole.... at least, we'll know where all the rooms are
hidden.

​I am not sure that there is another hotel in London that would suit. The
name by the way comes from the former Hotel Metropole which used to occupy
the same site which had a most interesting history.

​Since the elders of the Internet will be meeting in London again, perhaps
I should bring 'The Internet'. My first cousin once removed is the speaker
of the House of Lords, so I could ask him if I could just pop up to Big Ben
and fetch it for the plenary.

Would work better if we could get permission from the Beeb to show this
while folk are waiting for the plenary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDbyYGrswtg