Security Considerations, IoT and Everything

2016-11-22 14:25:49
Hi  -

During the plenary presentations in Seoul we were treated to a view of how the Internet has changed with the introduction of cheap network-connected devices with poor security. That presentation, as well as discussion in various IoT/Constrained Devices related working groups got me thinking about RFC security considerations and how they may need to change in the future. Basically, we've been writing Security Consideration sections that address threats *to* the protocol and devices that implement the protocol. Is it time to revise BCP72/RFC3522 to require we also address threats *from* the protocols to the Internet as a whole?

For example, DNS has been used quite frequently as a stepping-off point for DDoS attacks. In the recent IOT related attacks, bad UI/Password management choices were a contributing factor to those IoT devices being used in DDoS. In https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/03/hackers-hijack-a-philips-hue-lights-with-a-drone/, the researchers were able to take advantages of bad crytographic design choices (e.g. all of the firmware was signed/verified using the same secret key - which was present in all lightbulbs), and a flaw in the Zigbee attack, and a drone (to get close enough) to take control of a group of HUE lightbulbs, re-write their firmware and flash SOS.

One of the claims for IoT is 10s of billions of devices added to the internet within the next 5-10 years, and that may be a low estimate. The targets for IoT are everywhere from simple sensor/controller/actuator devices (e.g. thermostats, lighting systems) to more complex combinations of devices at all grades of capability from ultra cheap throwaways to consumer/commercial/industrial. Then there's the how cyber-physical thing - internet connected devices that can interact and control things in the real world. Consider for a moment the threat to safety and health if the HUE were instead designed to be used for UV sterilization instead of plain lighting.

There's also this push for cheap and fast to market. Unfortunately, that may mean poorly protected devices with unintended consequences to the Internet as a whole. We're starting to see worked examples of this.

So getting back to RFC3522:

1) Is it time to update this 2003 document in view of current threats?

2) Can we say anything useful with respect to security protocol design, protocol fields of use and probable impact on the Internet?

3) Should we set a minimum bar to try and avoid standardizing unsafe protocols or at least unsafe security choices in protocols?

In the early days of the internet, connected devices were mostly big iron - main frames and mini-computers. Next came the wave of PCs. Next the smart phones and tablets. All of these had one thing mostly in common - there was generally a Human in the loop somewhere watching the device. For IoT - humans not so much. That's obviously both an advantage and disadvantage; but it might also be an indication that we need to re-think our internet security strategies - again.

Mike