Re: SF-lovers discussion list

2016-12-18 17:51:52
On 12/18/2016 3:45 PM, Vint Cerf wrote:
does anyone on this list recall when and who set up this list? My
recollection is that it was one of the earliest mailing lists after
email was developed by Ray Tomlinson et al.

Arguably, Jon Postel's distribution of RFC announcements was the earlist 'mailing list', but it was a one-way, multicasting mechanism.

I believe the usual credit for first 'discussion' mailing list is to Msggroup, mostly operated by Stefferud, for discussing the use of email. Like Jon's effort, it initially required an almost manual process with sndmsg and interactive, real-time response to receive-side server issues.

I think Header-People was next, for discussing email technical issues.

SF-Lovers was probably the first non-technical (if not, non-geek...) list. But I am not remembering the details of its operation (who, when, where, etc.)

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking