Re: DMARC methods in mailman

2016-12-20 16:36:03
On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 07:56:01PM -0000, John Levine wrote:
In article <m1cJIF7-0000DEC(_at_)stereo(_dot_)hq(_dot_)phicoh(_dot_)net> you
write:
Just a random idea, I don't think I have seen it before, but I may have
missed
it.

What about adding a checkbox in the mailman profile for subscribers of the
lists that basically says: if you detect that the sender is using DMARC then
please rewrite the From header.

Whether a mail system enforces DMARC policies is up to the system's
manager, not individual users.  Even in the IETF, I expect that many,
perhaps a majority, of users have only the dimmest idea what if
anything their operator does with DMARC.

This starts getting more complicated, but the mailing list could try
intentionally sending a message which fails DMARC (e.g., with a
claimed from address of example(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com) to the mailing list
subscriber and see if it gets bounced, and use that to set the default
for that setting automatically?

                                                - Ted