L7 protocol design

2016-12-28 03:58:02
Hello, dear IETF community. I would like to develop L7 protocol for my
application and public documentation about it. Good protocol development
is quite difficult stage, but not a problem. But at the same time, I
don't have any experience writing protocol documentations (RFC's).

What guidelines do you have?

Is the RFC 4253 (SSH) good example of document design? Should I follow
same principle?

Please give me some examples how to make it correct. Even examples of
very simple protocols.

What I need as requirements:

    TCP/UDP transport

    Authentication

    Encryption

    Sequence control

My protocol would carry small status messages like (10-20 bytes with
timestamps and some sort of sequence synchronization).

Thank you very much for your answers. Sorry for posting into the general
list.

--
Philippe Duke
Network software engineer