Re: IPv6, was IPv10 (fwd)

2016-12-29 13:54:54
On 30/12/2016 08:30, John R Levine wrote:
I might be able to use ULAs but I have no idea how well ULAs actually work

Exactly like any other global-scope IPv6 address. They just work. (I speak
from experience.)

How do I tell my router that the ULAs on the home side of the router are
different from ULAs on the cableco side?

Your ULAs are all in your ULA /48 prefix. I'm not clear why the cableco would
be using ULAs, but if they do, those address will be in the cableco's ULA /48.
No confusion is possible, and as a border router, it SHOULD drop outbound
packets with source addresses in your ULA /48.

If you want static addresses on your servers, it's no different from any
other static address. But maybe I am not understanding your concern.

If I knew I had an address range that held still, I would use DHCPv6 and see
how many of my devices handle it.  What happens if I have ULA addresses
handed
out by DHCPv6 and global addresses from SLAAC?  Do I have to turn off SLAAC?

In the router advertisements, the prefix information option for the ULA prefix
would need its A flag turned off.

(If this stuff is all written down somewhere, I would be thrilled to get
the reference.)

This is more for v6ops or even ipv6-ops(_at_)lists(_dot_)cluenet(_dot_)de. To
be honest I
don't know if any of the IPv6 books covers this stuff in detail.

    Brian