Re: Predictable Internet Time

2017-01-03 12:25:52

On 03/01/2017 17:42, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
Agree 100%

Hence my proposal for supporting multiple time scales for different purposes:

1) TAI: Use this and only this for any and all purposes that involve recording the time an event took place. Including forensic and scientific purposes.

2) PIT: Use this for inter-machine communications. It may also be used to present TAI in a human readable form because the mapping from TAI to PIT is fixed.

It would, in my view, be better to use TAI for all inter-machine communications, and then allow applications that care, including non-scientific display of time to run the PIT algorithm locally.

There was a draft that I think Yaakov Stein and I wrote in the early days of TICTOC distinguishing transferred time from presentation time.

As far as I can see the only application that needs the PIT adapted version of time is an astronomers wall clock, after all most humans live with an error of an 0..2 hours between local astronomical time and the time-zone time, and most machines would be quite happy to live with what ever time they are using with no further leap seconds.

- Stewart

3) Local Time Zones: For human display purposes

From the conversation it seems that the best definition for PIT would be

PIT = TAI  + Smear ( Lag (UTC, 50 years ))