Problem with the draft-all aliases

2017-01-03 14:39:44
Last week, I was sending a SECDIR review of a draft in WGLC last week. The
guidelines are to send such reviews to the SECDIR list, the IESG and the
<draft>.all alias. And shortly after that, I received a mail from "Mail
Delivery System <MAILER-DAEMON(_at_)ietfa(_dot_)amsl(_dot_)com>" telling me
that something
went wrong. The problem report said this (I have edited the draft author
name and domain):

<author(_at_)example(_dot_)com> (expanded from

<expand-draft-ietf-blah-blah-blah(_dot_)all(_at_)virtual(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org>):
 host
    mx1.example.com[x.x.x.x] said: 551 5.7.1 SPF fail:
    'mail.ietf.org'[4.31.198.44], 'huitema.net'; REJECT (in reply to RCPT TO
    command)

I just copied the review directly to the authors' individual addresses, and
they received it fine. But obviously, something is wrong in the IETF's
guidance to reviewers, or in the implementation of these expansion lists.
The simple "exploder" function just does not work if the sender is left to
the original "from" address. That exploder function is not compatible with
SPF, or presumably with DMARC. Who would be a good contact to discuss
improvements?

-- Christian Huitema