Re: L7 protocol design

2017-01-04 13:08:49
The documentation is not yet complete and it is not yet capable of
supporting the new RFC format but you might be interested in the ProtoGen
toolset I developed to develop the Mathematical Mesh.

http://prismproof.org/

The tools and support libraries are all open source and available from the
following GitHub repository

https://github.com/hallambaker/PHB-Build-Tools

My preferred development environment is Visual Studio on Windows. But the
tools automate the generation of Makefiles for Linux from the Visual Studio
project which allows for cross platform code generation. To cross develop
from other IDEs or from a Linux box is possible if you extend the tool.

ProtoGen takes an abstract definition of a Web Service and converts it into
documentation and running code. The code is currently intended for use as
reference code and to generate examples and test cases. It could be used in
production but has not been optimized for that environment yet.

At present, the synthesizer generates code for a HTTP/HTTPS Web Service
using JSON encoding and conforms to at least some definitions of 'REST'.
The support libraries also support ASN.1, TLS Schema and XML but the synth
is not currently configured to support alternative encodings.

The current language target is C# but a previous iteration did support C.

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 4:57 AM, Philippe Duke
<philippe46(_at_)netassist(_dot_)ua>
wrote:

Hello, dear IETF community. I would like to develop L7 protocol for my
application and public documentation about it. Good protocol development
is quite difficult stage, but not a problem. But at the same time, I
don't have any experience writing protocol documentations (RFC's).

What guidelines do you have?

Is the RFC 4253 (SSH) good example of document design? Should I follow
same principle?

Please give me some examples how to make it correct. Even examples of
very simple protocols.

What I need as requirements:

    TCP/UDP transport

    Authentication

    Encryption

    Sequence control

My protocol would carry small status messages like (10-20 bytes with
timestamps and some sort of sequence synchronization).

Thank you very much for your answers. Sorry for posting into the general
list.

--
Philippe Duke
Network software engineer