Re: Review of draft-ietf-ecrit-car-crash-20

2017-01-06 06:55:04
At 9:53 PM +0200 1/5/17, Dan Romascanu wrote:

 Hi,

 Thanks for the quick answer and for addressing my comments.

 On respect to:

There is no conflict, as the eCall document applies to regions that adhere to the E.U. eCall system, and this document applies to other regions. I added the following sentence to the paragraphs in the Abstract and Introduction:

    A vehicle designed for multiple regions will
    comply with the document applicable to the region in which it is
    located.

I do not believe that this is sufficiently clear. Do you mean here that this document applies to all regions that do not implement the eCall system? If so, please say it explicitely.

Also, what does 'comply' mean? Is this about what is implemented in the software, or about what is activated? Without this clarification, your usage of MANDATORY and OPTIONAL keywords is fuzzy.

Hi Dan,

On reflection, I've deleted the two added sentences:

    A vehicle designed for multiple regions will
   comply with the document applicable to the region in which it is
   located.

The Introduction already says:

   Vehicles
   designed to operate in multiple regions might need to support eCall
   as well as NG-ACN as described here.  A vehicle IVS might determine
   whether to use eCall or ACN by first determining the region or
   country in which it is located (e.g., from a GNSS location estimate
   and/or identity of or information from an MNO).  If other regions
   adopt other data formats, a multi-region vehicle might need to
   support those as well.

I think this text is better than the added sentences, and I agree with you that the added text introduced its own ambiguity.

--Randy