Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-lamps-eai-addresses-05.txt> (Internationalized Email Addresses in X.509 certificates) to Proposed Standard

2017-02-09 16:40:21
On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 04:33:44PM -0500, Russ Housley wrote:

RFC 5280 says:

   A name constraint for Internet mail addresses MAY specify a
   particular mailbox, all addresses at a particular host, or all
   mailboxes in a domain.  To indicate a particular mailbox, the
   constraint is the complete mail address.  For example,
   "root(_at_)example(_dot_)com" indicates the root mailbox on the host
   "example.com".  To indicate all Internet mail addresses on a
   particular host, the constraint is specified as the host name.  For
   example, the constraint "example.com" is satisfied by any mail
   address at the host "example.com".  To specify any address within a
   domain, the constraint is specified with a leading period (as with
   URIs).  For example, ".example.com" indicates all the Internet mail
   addresses in the domain "example.com", but not Internet mail
   addresses on the host "example.com”.

I think you are talking about constraints on addresses at a particular
host and constraints on mailboxes in a domain, but not constraints on a
particular mailbox.  Please correct me is I got that wrong.

Primarily, but not exclusively.  In the case that an issuer CA is
constrainted to a specific rfc822Name, it should not be possible
to evade that constraint by using the same (all-ASCII) address as
an SmtpUtf8Name.

I think you are suggesting that any A-label in the rfc822Name be converted
to a U-label, and the result is used to constrain the SmtpUtf8Name.

No.  I am *not* suggesting *any* conversions.  If a CA has rfc822Name
constraints and no SmptUtf8Name constraints, and the rfc822Name
constraints limit the CA to "example.com", ".example.com", or as
you suggest above, a particular set of explicit rfc822Name addresses,
my suggestion is that it MUST NOT be able to issue SmtpUtf8Name altnames
that violate those constraints.  For example:

    * CA is constrained to permitted subtree rfc822Name: example.com
        - can issue SmtpUtfName: виктор@example.com
        - cannot issue SmtpUtf8Name: виктор@example.net

In the current form of the draft both would be allowed, the second
is a clear violation of the principle of least surprise (and the
policy of the parent CA that created the name constraint).

If people like your suggestion, then a constraint for a particular mailbox
will still require a SmtpUtf8Name, so I think the mechanism described in
the draft is needed.  It would just be used in combination with the above.

As to particular addresses, again:

    * CA is constrained to permitted subtree rfc822Name:
viktor(_at_)example(_dot_)com
        - cannot SmtpUtfName: виктор@example.com
        - cannot issue SmtpUtf8Name: виктор@example.net

In the current form of the draft both would be allowed, in clear
violation of the name constraint on the permitted email addresses.

--
        Viktor.