Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-rfc2460bis-08.txt> (Internet Protocol, Version 6 (IPv6) Specification) to Internet Standard

2017-02-10 21:23:27
just to get down a level from meta-

If the right answer is to allow packet modifications that break PMTUD
and IPsec/AH, let's do it, but let's also say we're doing it.

obvious imiho

I happen to think it's the wrong answer, but that's my problem.

i share it, but this is at the border of my expertise.  i have this
fantasy of pmtu actually working before i retire.  i realize it is
unrealistic.

Leaving the text open to interpretation would make a mockery of
promoting it to Standard.

agree.  but v6 specs seem to like wussing out and leaving the
opportunity to do wrong things.  i'll bet you a reuben at the corned
beef factory in chicago that the next try at the addressing architecture
still does not *unambiguously* state cidr except for slaac.

randy