Re: Possible ambiguity of Hop-by-Hop Options header processing text in draft-ietf-6man-rfc2460bis-08

2017-02-20 10:49:22

On 2/19/2017 3:14 PM, C. M. Heard wrote:
On that basis I would like to suggest changing the note as follows:

   NOTE: While [RFC2460] required that all nodes must examine and
   process the Hop-by-Hop Options header, it is now expected that nodes
   along a packet's delivery path, other than the source and destination
   nodes, will examine and process the Hop-by-Hop Options header only if
   explicitly configured to do so.

It would be useful to be more clear about destination - e.g., as
indicated up the destination IP address.

I.e., AFAICT an intermediate stop of a "loose source route" (using the
routing header) should be able to alter the HBH headers at will.

Joe