Review of draft-ietf-ippm-twamp-time-format-05

2017-03-17 14:01:51
Reviewer: Jon Mitchell
Review result: Has Nits

I have reviewed this document as part of the Operational directorate's

IESG.  These
comments were written with the intent of improving the operational
aspects of the
IETF drafts. Comments that are not addressed in last call may be
included in AD reviews
during the IESG review.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments
just like any other last call comments.

Ready with Nits - this draft adds the ability to use PTP timestamps as
an alternative to NTP timestamps for active performance measurement
protocols OWAMP and TWAMP.  Although this draft does a good job of
discussing interoperability for both sides of the session having or
not having support for this operational capability, in several places
it states that if a send/receiver support this capability it must be
set to 1 in the flags.  However, only for TWAMP Light mode, this seems
configurable.  This may just be my interpretation, but it probably
should state that local implementations MAY provide a configurable
knob to not negotiate PTPv2 timestamps in section 2.1 and 2.2 even if
the capability is supported by the implementation.