Re: Predictable Internet Time

2017-03-28 12:49:12
Hi, Patrik,

On 3/27/2017 11:37 PM, Patrik Fältström wrote:
Joe,

I have read your I-D and like it! Let me start there :-)

What I think is not clear enough is the problem with POSIX, and it should be
more clear in some place, maybe section 6.1, that POSIX definition which is
in use in quite a number of systems do not handle leap second very well. Too
many do believe the time_t definitions include the number of seconds since
epoch when in reality it does not (as you note in the definitions).

I can make that more clear, but AFAICT POSIX time is *defined* as
seconds since the Unix epoch *not counting* leap seconds at all.

One could even question whether it is Continuous as two seconds will have the
same number since epoch around the addition of a leap second
It is Continuous by definition.

When UTC adds a leap second, nothing different happens to POSIX time.

There are some people that have suggested a change, for example
<http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/time/c/> but I have not seen any movement.
Maybe you know more than me on this?
AFAICT, that's just attempting to redefine the <time.c> interface as
returning UTC rather than POSIX time.

Which works *IF* your machine has access to updated leap-second
information, e.g., via NTP.

Joe