Re: Genart last call review of draft-ietf-grow-large-communities-usage-06

2017-04-18 10:27:05
Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 06:41:15AM -0700, Stewart Bryant:
5.  Security Considerations

   Operators should note the recommendations in Section 11 of BGP
   Operations and Security [RFC7454].

SB> You do not address the question of whether there are new
considerations, or considerations
SB> that are of increased importance? Is there is text somewhere
SB> that discusses the integrity and synchronization of the
parameters
SB> and any consequences that arise?

I agree that this draft lacks one detail of how RFC7454 applies to it, but
I also note that RFC7454 also does not explain the dangers of ignoring
the recommendations in S11.  I suggest that the subject of removing one's
own communities is subjective and a local issue for which we can only
hypothesize.  I'll try to address the latter, but I do not personally feel
this is necessary.

===========

Minor issues:

2.2.  Action Communities

   Action Communities are added as a label to request that a route be
   treated in a particular way within an AS.  The operator of the AS
   defines a routing policy that adjusts path attributes based on the
   community.  For example, the route's propagation characteristics,
the
   LOCAL_PREF (local preference), the next-hop, or the number of
AS_PATH
   prepends to be added when it is received or propagated can be
   changed.

SB> Although these are well known to the target audience, I think you
SB> need some references in the above para.

How so?  Do you mean actual community values similar to the example in 3.1.1?
Because these are int 4.x, as 3.x are examples related to 2.1.

Nits/editorial comments:

6.  IANA Considerations

   None.

SB> A little briefer than normal.