Re: Artart last call review of draft-ietf-core-coap-tcp-tls-07

2017-04-19 14:22:35
On Apr 10, 2017, at 06:07, Mark Nottingham <mnot(_at_)mnot(_dot_)net> wrote:

Section 7.4 shows how to convert a "coap+ws://" URI into a "wss://"
URI, using a well-known URI in the "wss" scheme. However, "wss" is not
defined to use well-known URIs, so this is an invalid use.

Clearly, this is a bug in draft-ietf-core-coap-tcp-tls-07.

I have argued that underlying this is an omission in RFC 6455:

ws:/wss: URIs are translated into http:/https: URIs, and the well-known space
is already reserved in the latter, so it would be nonsensical to try to use RFC
5785 /.well-known for something else in the ws:/wss: URI schemes.

Maybe there wasn’t a use case for well-known URIs in WebSockets before, but
there is one now, and we would like to remedy this omission in the procedurally
simplest possibly way.

So I am proposing to add RFC 5785’s well-known URI mechanism to these URI
schemes in the document that needs it, draft-ietf-core-coap-tcp-tls, which by
that updates RFC 6455.

Are there any objections to this procedure?

Grüße, Carsten