Re: Genart last call review of draft-ietf-tls-ecdhe-psk-aead-03

2017-05-18 15:54:23
Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your response, and for addressing my comment. Yes, the edits
address my concern, this is exactly the kind of clarification text that IMO
was missing. I suggest to publish the revised version as soon as you
address all other comments. The document can be approved by the IESG if
they believe it's ready and will wait in the RFC Editor Queue because of
the dependency on TLS 1.3.

Regards,

Dan

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 8:44 PM, Daniel Migault
<daniel(_dot_)migault(_at_)ericsson(_dot_)com
wrote:

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your reviews and comments. I believe the following text
provides more explanation on how the provided cipher suites are negotiated
by TLS1.3 as well as why point codes defined in the document does not apply
to TLS1.3. Feel free to let me know if that address your concern and I can
publish version 04 with the text below.

Unlike TLS1.2, TLS1.3 separates authentication and cipher suite
negotiation <xref target="I-D.ietf-tls-tls13"/> Section 1.2. TLS1.3
supports PSK with ECDHE key exchange and the cipher suites
TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256, TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384, TLS_AES_128_CCM_8_SHA256
and  TLS_AES_128_CCM_SHA256 are part of the specification. As a result, TLS
1.3 and higher versions, negotiate and support these cipher suites in a
different way.

I am not sure we  have to wait for the publication of TLS1.3 as changes on
TLS1.3 are unlikely to impact the code point assigned. However, we
currently have TLS1.3 as a normative reference.

Yours,
Daniel