Re: wireless geolocation

2017-06-06 18:53:13
I guess they could be changed to Locally Administered.  Not sure the AP's
UI supports that.

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 4:44 PM, Nico Williams
<nico(_at_)cryptonector(_dot_)com> wrote:

On Tue, Jun 06, 2017 at 06:38:00PM -0400, Donald Eastlake wrote:
bssid/macs are manufacturer based but there are companies that provide
positioning services based on learning where those MACs are -- typically
combining such MAC based Wi-Fi/Bluetooth information with IP, GPS, ...
information to try to get an accurate location. If you happen to be in a
hotel function room and can only see meeting provided APs, so you can't
see
any fixed local APs, you can easily get Geolocated to the previous
meeting
site.

Can the BSSIDs be changed?  I know, that might be disruptive in that
users will have to re-teach their devices about trusted APs, but that
seems like a decent trade-off.

--
Clint Chaplin
Principal Standards Engineer