Re: wireless geolocation

2017-06-08 12:54:23
At 1:12 PM -0400 6/8/17, Ted Lemon wrote:

The way to prevent this behavior when in a foreign country is to use a VPN; this should work just fine from the IETF network, if not from the hotel network.

Indeed, VPNs solve the problem by changing where one appears to be to the web site, which is why I said the problem happens "without a full VPN."

Really, everything we're talking about in this thread is because of the various hacks that have grown up to guess at various things such as location, language, character set, etc. The hacks work well enough enough of the time that people rely on them.

Because the hack works well enough enough of the time, it's common for people to assume that it's reliable, but as we're discussing here, it isn't. Interestingly, in the U.S., there is work ongoing to develop a National Emergency Address Database (NEAD), which is designed to reliably and authoritatively provide a specific location, e.g., by having a venue owner specify the MAC addresses of Wi-Fi APs within the venue, as well as other sources and inputs.

--
Randall Gellens
Badkruka (BAD-ruke-ah; Swedish; noun): Someone who refuses to enter