Re: wireless geolocation

2017-06-06 11:49:02
On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 12:35 PM, Ted Lemon <mellon(_at_)fugue(_dot_)com> wrote:
Why do we even have a stable IP address range anymore?   It seems like an
unnecessary lift.   If we just take what the ISP offers (IPv4 and IPv6) and
use that, why is that not good enough?

Because we use a *large* amount of address space - we (currently) give
everyone a public IP address, we have multiple SSIDs / networks, etc.
ISPs would be quite unlikely to be willing to give us a big enough
block, we (often) also have multiple providers, etc. We would also
need to renumber all of our infrastructure, redo DNS, etc.

We currently publish geo-location info in
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-google-self-published-geofeeds-02
format -- noc.ietf.org/geo/google.csv. This gets updated (assuming I /
we don't forget :-)) before each meeting, and should be imported by
google in advance of the meeting...

But, much of the issue is location being tied to the MAC address of
the APs, not just the source IP. There are lots of geo providers, and
they all need to be updated, etc.

idea in the first place.
of pants.
   ---maf