wireless geolocation

2017-06-06 10:36:29
you may have noticed, when you get to an ietf meeting and get on the
wireless, you will often geolocate to the last city on the eternal tour.
this is because access point bssids are recorded by a number of
geolocation providers and those location data are then used by
application providers.

the noc tries to deal with this, but it is a manual mess involving
trying to convince geoloc providers to do complex things such as answer
their frelling email.  the pain is not congruent with the fix.

the ietf is far from the only event with this problem.  but it is kind
of in our purview to automate it.  the noc is not the place to work on
protocols and databases; the noc is just the customer/user.  a bof or
some existing wg might be.

oh, and warning.  there is a significant chance we will see the issue in
praha as we have been unable to get a response from one major geoloc
provider (not google; they were wonderfully responsive).

randy