Re: adaptive wireless mis-geolocation

2017-06-07 13:28:17
In article
<CAPt1N1ni9Z12gfNArK4GaJpXdp2OMoZXv_wKrHYCcCG2wom=tw(_at_)mail(_dot_)gmail(_dot_)com>
 you write:
Because it makes it very difficult to use various services if they think we
are 7000 miles away from where we are.

I find the benefits of a real non-NAT address vastly exceed the
inconvenience of some map application showing me a default view of the
city where I was three months ago.

Also, I dunno about you, but for me it would be far more convenient to
be geolocated in the US for the week while I'm at a conference,
regardless of where I am physically, since that's where I live.  I
expect that's true for many people who live in other countries, too.

With that in mind, and understanding that the appropriate response to
"would someone do X" is "we're all volunteers here", it'd be cool to
permanently geolocate chunks of the IETF network to fixed countries,
then have a way to ask for an address in a country's chunk.  At IETF
98 the top ten countries were US, CN, CA, DE, JP, GB, FR, SE, NL, KR.

R's,
John