Re: wireless geolocation

2017-06-06 11:56:13
On Jun 6, 2017, at 12:48 PM, Warren Kumari <warren(_at_)kumari(_dot_)net> wrote:
Because we use a *large* amount of address space - we (currently) give
everyone a public IP address, we have multiple SSIDs / networks, etc.
ISPs would be quite unlikely to be willing to give us a big enough
block, we (often) also have multiple providers, etc. We would also
need to renumber all of our infrastructure, redo DNS, etc.

Please understand when I say this that I am not proposing an unfunded mandate
on the backs of volunteers here, but (a) it doesn't seem to me that we need to
continue providing everyone with a routable IPv4 address, and (b) if
renumbering is that hard, maybe that's worth thinking about, because
renumbering is not generally all that hard, and we have developed a lot of
technology in the IETF to _make_ it not hard.

E.g., if everything is numbered using IPv6, and the reason it needs numbered is
so that it can be managed, wouldn't a ULA prefix for numbering managed devices
solve that problem?   Or are we still managing them using stone knives and IPv4?

We currently publish geo-location info in
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-google-self-published-geofeeds-02
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-google-self-published-geofeeds-02>
format -- noc.ietf.org/geo/google.csv <http://noc.ietf.org/geo/google.csv>.
This gets updated (assuming I /
we don't forget :-)) before each meeting, and should be imported by
google in advance of the meeting...

Apparently that's not solving the problem, though.   Google maps always seems
to redirect me to the previous country, every IETF.   I think this is more of
an operational problem than not having a routable IPv4 address would be—I don't
assume when I'm traveling that I will have a routable IPv4 address.

But, much of the issue is location being tied to the MAC address of
the APs, not just the source IP. There are lots of geo providers, and
they all need to be updated, etc.

Can't APs have their user-facing MAC addresses changed/randomized?   Again, I
realize that that potentially another unfunded mandate, but I'm just asking
whether this is something that can be done, not saying you should do it.