RE: [Teas] Yangdoctors last call review of draft-ietf-teas-yang-te-topo-08

2017-06-22 08:44:33
Hi Benoit,

-----Original Message-----
From: Benoit Claise [mailto:bclaise(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2017 6:12 AM
To: Robert Wilton <rwilton(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>; Xufeng Liu
<Xufeng_Liu(_at_)jabil(_dot_)com>;
Mahesh Jethanandani <mjethanandani(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>;
yang-doctors(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; teas(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org;
draft-ietf-teas-yang-te-topo(_dot_)all(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Teas] Yangdoctors last call review of
draft-ietf-teas-yang-te-topo-
08

Dear draft-ietf-teas-yang-te-topo authors,
Hi Xufeng,

OK, by tooling, I don't mean the pyang plugins that I have been
working on to convert between different types of models.  As you
aware, the TE YANG models can easily be converted to NMDA style since
I have already done it
(https://github.com/rgwilton/ietf-models-to-combined).

My comment actually relates to the fact the structure used by TE YANG
modules don't match any other YANG modules - they are using their own
unique style of structure.
This is an important issue to resolve.

Today, there are three common styles of modules:
(1) IETF style split config/state trees (e.g. ietf-interfaces).
(2) IETF NMDA style combined config/state trees (i.e. where all IETF
modules are heading to).
(3) OpenConfig style modules with the config/state containers
immediately above the config leaves.

Tooling is likely to be optimized to work with these model structures,
but the TE modules do not fit into any of the three styles above.
They are a yet another OpenConfig-like style, but that is different
enough that tooling that is designed to work with OpenConfig style
YANG modules would likely not work with the TE YANG modules.

Specifically, for clients that expecting to work with an OpenConfig
style YANG module, then if it knows the path to config leaf X, then
they would expect the applied config value to be available at the path
"../state/X".  But, this doesn't hold for the structure being used in
the TE YANG models.

I believe strongly that the models being produced by organizations
should be structures in a consistent way, hence why I think that the
published standard version of the TE YANG modules should immediately
align to the NMDA style.
Agreed.
Here is the OPS and RTG AD message:
https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/netmod/current/msg18252.html

I understand that the I2RS topology YANG modules will be improved to the
NMDA style.
[Xufeng] The I2RS topology model is already NMDA style, but the NMDA models are
not immediately implementable without NETCONF/RESTCONF protocol update. We will
need the "-state" module for the I2RS topology model (and for all the top-level
models) for now. While the NMDA is nice, the NMDA discussions have already
significantly delayed publishing new models, and doing NMDA without staging
will further delay the process.
Thanks,  Xufeng

Regards, Benoit

Thanks,