Re: Rtgdir last call review of draft-ietf-mpls-rfc3107bis-02

2017-06-28 08:25:40

On 28/06/2017 13:52, Eric C Rosen wrote:
On 6/27/2017 4:29 PM, Stewart Bryant wrote:
In the introduction it says: "In [RFC3107], this feature was controlled by a BGP Capability Code that has never been implemented, and is now essentially obsolete." which left me wondering whether there was the intention to formally
deprecate the feature through the RFC system.

The IANA consideration section of this document requests that the "multiple routes to a destination" capability code be marked as deprecated, with a reference to this document. Isn't that sufficient?

Hi Eric,

Sorry I missed that.

I am not sure if the same protocol applies to IANA codepoints as RFCs, but if you were obsoleting an RFC it would need to be noted in the abstract and the introduction.

If you do a respin it might be better to note the deprecation near the text on obsolescence, since people tend to read the main text and not the IANA section. However at the end of the day it is up to the AD how they want to handle this.

- Stewart