Re: Delete all and replace is practical

2004-01-30 00:06:26

On Jan 29, 2004, at 3:45 PM, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
One of the things that has consistently failed in the traditional legacy
infrastructure has been upgrading old protocols.

I look to the BITNET model here. The two protocols don't cleanly interoperate, but work via gateways.

The incentive to upgrade comes from, among other things, gateways increasingly adding artificial delays into gateway transfers, reducing the immediacy of delivery, and eventually decomissioning, forcing the issue. You allow for the transition, but you don't allow it to carry forward forever.

Of course, it's unlikely we'd be able to finish the migration until after IPV6 is complete.