Re: Setting the stage

2004-01-29 23:36:10

Michael Richardson wrote:

I was mostly disturbed by the things that email is being used for.

We started, years ago, with FTP-by-mail as a weird aberation. UUCP connected sites rapidly banned this. Ironically, MIME institutionalized it.

A major lack that we have on the Internet is that there is no trivial
and easy way for two individuals to share files. This isn't mail's fault,
but mail has been used to fill to gap, and the result is the disaster that
we are in.

Yes. And its not just the spam problem. Its not a very good tool
for collaboration. Perhaps we need a new application that fills the
gap between e-mail/person-to-person messaging and web/global publishing.
Then we can design the remaining messaging parts as a simpler, cleaner
tool.

--Jari