Re: taxonomies

2004-02-06 16:01:02

At 3:37 PM -0500 2/6/04, Martin Duerst wrote:
At 09:03 04/02/06 -0800, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:

Set C:
+ mixed parts
  : marked for human consumption
  : marked for machine consumption

I think this is the simplest way to express things.
But I would like to see many more requirements/examples for
interesting applications, interesting message content,...
so that we get a better idea of what we need in terms
of generic capabilities for message formats, and requirements
on the underlying transport, as well as hopefully some new
and exciting functionality for the users that will make it
worthwhile switching to the new system.

Partially agree. Fully agree on "would like to see many more requirements/examples for interesting applications, interesting message content,..." Disagree on "and requirements on the underlying transport".

Currently, I like Set C the best because it seems that something that can read the body can read the markings and decide what to do with it.

One thing I'm not clear about is whether it is possible to make
a strict distinction between human consumption and machine
consumption.

I'm quite sure we cannot. A better question is, given that we cannot, what can we do to help both people and machines to know what to do when presented with a mail message.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium